Monday, November 2, 2015

Just toss that in there



July 2003


"OK Alie,  should I wear this or...this?" It was Wednesday night and I was skimming through my closet for the perfect outfit. I don't care if I didn't want to get back together with Cal, a girl had to look her best for an ex. I was deciding on a short pink form fitting in the waist sundress or the same black strapless I wore the first night we kissed.

"The pink one, makes your butt look good." Alicia said with little enthusiasm. She encouraged me to go out with him again yet ever since I asked her to help me get ready she has given me attitude. I sat down next to her on my bed and asked what was up.

"Nothing really, I think, I just, I don't know why all of a sudden you seem so anxious and excited about tonight.  I thought you were over him. I remember how much he hurt you and I feel like you forgot." She looked me in the eyes with concern.

"Ok listen, I do remember how much he hurt me and I'm not going to run back into his arms if that's what you're worried about. It's just, he was my high school crush you know. It's hard not to get a little nervous about going out with him again. If anything I just want to look good to show him what he's missing." I bumped her with my shoulder and smiled hoping she'd perk up.

"Well then let's show him," she jumped up and started helping me get ready. Once I put the final touch of lipstick on I looked in the mirror to inspect my reflection. Sexy, but not too much, I ran my hands through my hair to loosen the curls some. Don't want to look like I tried too hard.

There was a knock at the door and Alicia ran to beat me to it.

"Hello Cal," Alicia greeted him with a small grin, not even trying to hide her annoyance.

"Alicia, nice to see you again." Cal said sounding quite genuine.

"Juliette wow, you look amazing." He commented with his hands out for affect. He smiled, his dimples still got me, I wondered if they always would.

"Hey, I thought we were meeting there?"

"You don't think I'd let a hot girl like you walk there by herself do you?" That was kinda sweet, I looked at Alicia who was standing behind him rolling her eyes.

We said goodbye, and with a curt wave and fake smile Alicia shut the door behind us. I laughed to myself as I kept up with Cal, Alicia was never one to be subtle.

We ended up walking to the pub and I was grateful for opting to wear flat sandals as apposed to heels. We were seated in a dark booth and handed our menus. Within seconds a busty blonde appeared at our table.  I couldn't help but notice her gaze linger upon Cal. He was attractive in his fitted black top hugging him tightly along his upper arms. I also now noticed his once black wavy hair was trimmed very short. It almost made the rest of his head look to big, I thought.

 I realized I was still staring when the waitress asked me again what I would like to drink. I quickly turned my attention back to her and ordered a coke. She leaned in toward Cal, sticking her bust in his face and recommend the mozzarella sticks for an appetizer.  Not sure why she had to show him, wasn't like there was a picture but whatever. I was actually a little surprised at this, back when we were dating, the flirty attention of a waitress would have really bothered me. However right now I was finding it kinda funny how obvious she was being. Cal agreed and put an order in for the mozzarella sticks before turning back to me. We caught up some about the last semester of our first year. Turns out his team did really well and made it to the Mountain West Conference, I didn't really know what that meant but I just nodded along.

"So how was Rosarito?" I grabbed a piping hot mozzarella stick and dropped it quickly on my plate.

"Oh man, Mexico was awesome Jules, you gotta come with us next time." His eyes glossed over and he had a dreamy expression on his face.

"Well I doubt I'll get the invite from Shelly anytime soon." I said rolling my eyes. My cheese stick cooled some so I popped it in my mouth, greasy goodness, I was glad little miss flirt recommended them.

"Yeah, Gavin said something about her being thrown under the bus?" I almost choked on that statement.

"Hold up!? You do know why Shelly got fired don't you?" I knew I should probably shut my mouth but I was annoyed. When he just raised his brows and shook his head I continued.

"She was lying to customers and selling policies because of those lies." I felt the warmth creep to my cheeks.

"Wow, according to Gavin she got wrapped up in some selling practice the whole office did and got blamed for it?" I'm glad he seemed to be questioning this statement.

"No, she was the only one lying. Cal, listen I know Gavin is your friend but you should know I think Shelly is a pathological liar. Everything she's ever told me, well most everything has been a lie." Right then I paused, I knew I would regret what I said next but I couldn't stop.

"Shelly has been sleeping with her coworker, Patrick,  for almost a year." I flinched a little nervous for his reaction,  Gavin was his best friend. I opened my eyes and was surprised to see him so calm.

"Yeah, I know. Actually, I didn't know she was sleeping around at work. I suspected she was cheating with someone, I over heard her talking on the phone. It was obvious by what she was saying, that she was fooling around with whoever was on the other line."

"Wow, have you told Gavin?"

"Yeah, he's just so head over heals for her that he thinks I heard wrong." He shook his head and grabbed my hand.  "Listen I'll try and talked to him again but I didn't take you out to talk about their messed up relationship. " I agreed and we got back into a more uplifting topic. Busty came back and took our orders,  I noticed she never took her eyes off of Cal, even when she took my order. I was surprised how easily our conversation flowed, I would say even easier then when we were together.  Maybe the romantic tension wasn't there anymore.

"So Alicia seemed real happy to see me," he grinned.

"Ha, yeah, she's not your biggest fan." I laughed.

"Is she still with Dean?"

"Yeah,  they're pretty hot and heavy." My fish and chips arrived and I suddenly regretted all the fried choices I was making tonight.

"Alie was never one for relationships, she didn't even return my call after we slept together." He threw this in casually. I didn't respond I just stared at him with my mouth open wide. His laughter immediately stopped when he saw my face.

"Oh God Jules, I swear I thought you knew. It was back in high way before we got together." A look of worry spread across his face.

"No, I didn't know. Was it serious?" Why was this new information,  why didn't my best friend tell me this? I'd like Cal since the beginning of high school, she knew that. I was speechless, grabbing for my coke I started biting at my straw.

"No, like I said, it was once. It was freshman year we didn't even go out on a date. Listen I feel bad enough saying anything,  just don't be mad at Alicia." I wasn't sure why his sudden loyalty to Alicia but I wasn't in the mood to discuss this further.

"Alright alright, let's just talk about something else, please?" And that's exactly what we did for the next hour.  We talked about him going home for the summer and what our plans were for the 4th of July.  I tried to focus and enjoy myself but a part of me was dying to get home and talk to Alicia.  When the waitress brought our check I wasn't surprised to see a smiley face and number written boldly on pink ink. We argued a moment before I agreed he could pay then headed back toward the cottage.

"Juliette I really enjoyed tonight, aside from putting my foot in my mouth, I miss talking to you." He laughed a little testing the waters, I gave him a smile but didn't feel like laughing yet.

"Well who ever said we couldn't talk? No harm in talking right?" I believed that until he hit my lips with his. I wanted to pull back but the familiarity of his warm lips kept me there. Deeping the kiss I felt as if I was searching,  not sure for what. Pulling away I thanked him for dinner and hurried inside. Letting out the breath I was clinging to I opened my eyes to see Alicia and Dean cuddled up on the couch.

"How'd it go?" Alicia asked sitting up.

"There's something I need to ask you.."

1 comment:

  1. Oh no Alicia! What did you do?!

    - Anna Graham

    ReplyDelete