Thursday, December 24, 2015

Alicia's news

August 2003


"So, we wanted to go the end of summer but it turns out the best time to go is November through May, the dry season." Dean said before taking a bite of his burger.

"I have a break around Thanksgiving I could go then. Or maybe Christmas!  I've always wanted  to spend Christmas in another country. " Alicia piped in.

"I could do either,  I mean I still have to request time off and make sure I don't have a midterm or something but I think either sounds fun." I added my part.

"Well that was easier then I thought this conversation would go. I thought we'd have to go back and forth about when would work." Dean laughed.

"Fine neither work, let's just forget it!" Alicia dramatically exclaimed,  she couldn't hide her smile as she kissed Dean on the cheek while he just rolled his eyes.

"Are you going to bring Jacob Jules? " Dean said turning his attention to me.

"I don't know, I mentioned we were thinking about going, and he does love to surf..." I paused not sure what else to say. Alicia saw my hesitation and quickly changed the subject. I don't know why I haven't asked Jacob to go yet. That's a lie, there's one reason and it's a curly head boy. I don't think I necessarily want to be with Dominic but I feel weird bringing another guy around a guy I have chemistry with.

We finished our meals and continued chatting about all the things we wanted to do on our trip. We decided we would all check our work and school schedules and pick if we will go over thanksgiving break or Christmas. We walked back to the complex and I was surprised when Alicia kissed Dean goodnight and followed me inside.

"You're not staying at Dean's tonight?" I asked curious.

"What? We don't have to spend every moment together,  can't a girl want to spend time with her friend?" Alicia complained. I rolled my eyes as I threw my flip flops off and fell on the couch.

"Actually,  I really did want to spend some quality Jules time. But I did want to talk to you..." She said sitting next to me.

"What's the matter," I asked sensing the concerned tone in her voice.

"It's nothing the matter, it's just, Dean asked me to move in with him.  We found a little house to rent not far from here." She wouldn't look at me, she kept her eyes on the wall behind me.

"Alicia that's great! I mean I'll miss you but I am happy you guys are at that place in your relationship." She looked at me and squealed throwing her arms around my neck. We spent the rest of the night catching up and hearing about the little house they found.

I climbed into bed later that night and it hit me, I was going to need a roommate. I couldn't afford the rent here by myself. I know she wasn't moving out until the first of the year but I couldn't think of anyone right now. I fretted about the issue until I finally passed out.


The next morning I hurried to work. I was still worried about the roommate issue but in the light of day I knew I'd figure something out.  I passed Don's office and noticed Taylor sitting next to him focused on his computer screen. I continued on to my desk and got to work.  I replied to a few emails from underwriting and answered a couple calls. Before I knew it, it was lunch. I was just about to run to Wendy's when Taylor met me at the back door asking if I would like to join her for lunch. I couldn't think of any reason not to so we walked to a nearby deli.

The deli was crowded but we managed to find a table after we grabbed a couple pre made sandwiches.  I tend to be a little shy so I struggled some trying to make small talk. Luckily Taylor was easy to talk to and had many stories to tell. She has traveled all over the world and knows spanish, italian and french. From the sounds of it her upbringing was very, privileged.  But you wouldn't think that talking to her. She never came across as bragging during the conversation.

"So did you leave a boyfriend back in South Carolina?" I asked as we started walking back to the office.

"Yes, actually ex-fiance to be exact." I whipped my head around to see her face. Her usual perky demeanor had changed, her shoulders fell as she sighed.

"Steve, I met him in college. We fell in love instantly. He purposed six months after we started dating. He was a few years my senior and after university he got his dream job in marketing. Unfortunately it was in New York.  He broke off the engagement and flew out the next day. I haven't seen him since."

"That sucks I'm sorry." I said. She turned to me and smiled.

"Oh honey,  I don't mean to be so gloomy. It all worked out, I was able to move here with my mother." She put on a large grin and stood up straight.

"How's your mother doing?"

"She's is doing better, she caught pneumonia and spent three days in the hospital.  She's back home now, we are staying at grandmama's house, I'm grateful she has her own room there. I'm staying on the couch now but eventually I would like to find a place of my own." She said as she held the door to the office open for me.

"Taylor, I think we should talk..."




Note: hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, happy holidays and a happy New Year!  Juliette 

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad I found this blog! Thank you :)

    Check out my friends new fictional/supernatural blog:

    http://thebeastwithin1.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete