Sunday, December 20, 2015

Welcome to the hotel California -present post part 3

I didn't want to break it up again so this is a long post :)



November 2015 -present post part 3


I set down my empty margarita and got off the swing.

"Let's take a water taxi back," my husband suggested.  When else do you get to take a boat as transportation, it's part of the fun.

I had a slight buzz so I was a little concerned about climbing the moving ladder to get in. I put one foot up and lifted just as a wave came and jerked the boat back to sea. Thankfully my husband went first and grabbed my hand to steady me.

There was a cruise ship in port today,  it was massive. The tiny water taxi went by and you had to lift your head to the clouds to see the beast. I could only imagine how busy the marina must be with how many tourists you could fit on that ship.

We got to the resort quickly and took a short cut back to the room through the pool. I'm not sure who initiated it first, but we got distracted in bed for an hour. So nice to have afternoon sex and not have to put a show on for our kids in the other room to distract them.  Before we got a lock on our door, I remember one time being right in the middle of it and having our, (at the time) 3 year old barge in exclaiming his show cut out. Needless to say we installed a lock the next day.

We got dressed again and walked to the travel agency office on site.   There were dozens of brochures on exciting excursions and tours. I flipped through several. One in particular caught my eye, it was a tour to Todos Santos. I had heard about Todos Santos when I looked up what to do in Cabo. It was a small old artsy town that had the Hotel California, the one some say the song is based off.

"Let's do this!" I shoved the brochure at him.

"You want to tour a blanket factory and walk around an old town? You realize we will be the youngest people on the tour? "

"Yep I'm sure, besides according to you, we are old. " I gave him a look and he agreed to go booking the trip for friday. He also booked a snorkel trip on a catamaran sailboat for tomorrow.

Feeling satisfied we went back to the room to get ready for dinner.  We had reservations at a place called,  Edith's. I took my time getting ready. I had bought a curling wand just for the trip,  I love the look of thick ringlets all over. Spritzing some hair spray on I moved to pick out a dress.

I decided on a low cut, short blue and white print dress. It was tight in the waist with a thick belt,  and sorta poofed out at the hip.  My favorite part was the pockets, I love dresses with pockets.  With a whistle from my husband we were off. He looked extra handsome in his slim dress shirt and dark jeans.

The cab dropped us off outside a dark peach building, the arch entrance was painted blue with a mosaic pattern outlining. Inside the busy establishment we were greeted by the hostess and shown our table. The grand palapas above us had colorful glowing lanterns hanging all around. Even the palm trees had these glowing coconut shaped lanterns. I pointed them out and told him to make them for our palm trees back home.

Our waiter appeared quickly and got our drink order, I got a gin and lime drink this time since I've had too many maragaitas to count. Once our drinks arrived the waiter brought out a platter of meat, he pointed out the specials and combinations you could make. I decided on the lobster tail and shrimp, my partner chose the red snapper. We also heard they were famous for their caesar salad and ordered that as well.

Another friendly man appeared at our side with a table and started preparing the salad there. We said yes to anchovies and he got busy making the dressing from scratch. While he made it my husband got into a conversation about celebrities he has seen dine here. Turns out Kobe Bryant was here not long ago.

The salad was as amazing as we hoped. We ate, chatted and people watched throughout the meal. After getting over filled on dessert we paid our bill and went for a walk.


The next morning we grabbed breakfast from local coffee shop and walked to the marina to make our snorkel trip. Along the way we passed several stores, I made a mental note to come back tomorrow for souvenirs. We found the dock for our trip and were early so we grabbed a beer at Seńor Frogs. Once we were able to board we were greeted by a petite lady passing out drinks. I declined and found a spot to sit.

There was only supposed to be about twelve passengers but a quick count showed there was at least twenty. Unfortunately the two nets at the front of the boat were already filled. We wanted to sit on the net and watch the water pass by. We found a seat near the captain at the back instead.

The music was turned up and we headed out. The boat was going to sail by the arch and lover's beach. In front of lovers beach we stood and took a handful of pictures, mostly kissing. Then again when we got to the arch. It was so picturesque, being here with my favorite person only made it even more memorable.

We made our way toward the snorkel spot. I had relaxed and accepted the fruity rum drink offered this time around. The captain cast several fishing lines at the back of the boat. My husband was excited and started up a conversation about what they've caught in the past.

They raised the sail, watching the process was exciting, the giant fabric tight against the wind was impressive.

Everyone was having a good time drinking and dancing that the trip to Santa Maria Bay flew by.  We brought our own snorkel gear so we were the first ones off the boat while everyone else tried on their sets. Jumping into the warm water we headed toward the rocks.

Vibrant fish swam by, some I recognized from past adventures while others I had never seen. My favorite was the parrot fish by far. Someone fed the fish nearby making schools of fish go crazy. We explored a small opening between the rocks, a wave came in sending the shallow water rushing forward. Before I slammed into a rock I stuck my feet out and braced for impact.  My fins pressed against the large rock and as soon I felt the water recede, I pushed off with force and started swimming as fast as I could out of the inlet. My husband was right next to me and helped by giving me a shove on my rear to push me out further.

"Are you ok? I'm sorry I shouldn't have brought us that close to the shallow rocks." He said after we popped up from the water. I told him to relax it was fine we were ok. We got back to snorkeling and as soon as we heard the signal we headed to the boat. The petite lady appeared at the stairs and rinsed us off. There was a large spread of sandwich makings and fresh guacamole laid out. We dried off and grabbed a couple plates and a couple more drinks.

On the way back to the marina everyone was in party mode. A couple girls held onto some rope dancing, while others sang aloud with the music. After we ate we were able to find a place on the net and watch the water rush by for a while. We actually enjoyed our spot by the captain more, so after a while we went back.

The petite lady who I had learned was named Rosa, went downstairs and came back up wearing a leather batwomen mask and some leather corset. She was also carrying around a bottle of tequila pouring it down everyone's throat. I gave her a dirty look when she sat on my husband's lap and poured the liquid down his throat, afterward blowing a whistle and pinching his nipples. My husband just laughed , I knew it was all in good sport so I laughed along with him. We continued to accept the free drinks and by the time we were off the boat I was tipsy to say the least.


Back at the resort we were able to make the 3:30 volleyball game, when I say we I mean my husband played and I sipped on a Pina colada watching. He joined me after his team won.

"What are some other drinks you have, I know the usual like margarita, Pina colada, Mai tai. But are there any others I should try?" My husband asked our server.

"Si señor, dirty monkey is good,  we also have a WTF." He said grinning.  My husband asked what was in it, it sounded a bit like a dirty monkey with more shots of different alcohol. I said what the hell and ordered one, even though I wasn't a banana fan.

I regretted my decision immensely when I was curled up in bed that night trying to feel better. Everything was spinning and it was worse when I closed my eyes, I tried so hard to not throw up but in the end the acid in my stomach won out. My husband tried to comfort me without laughing but he failed. I kicked him out of the bathroom and proceeded to suffer. Once I cleaned up I crawled into bed I thankfully passed out.


The next morning I woke up cursing the world. My head was spinning. I got ready and grabbed a pack of pop tarts and bottle of water as we headed to the van for our tour. We were going to see Todos Santos today, I hoped I would feel better along the way so I could actually enjoy the little adventure I insisted on. Our guide, Daniel was friendly and chatted with us as we drove to pick up the other couple joining the group.

"50 bucks says they are over sixty," my husband grinned at me. I just shook my head and ignored him. When we pulled up to another grand resort I excused myself to go use the restroom. Returning I was met with an elderly couple,  maybe in their seventies getting into the van. I said hello to them and gave my husband a 'shut up' look as I got in.

Our first stop was the blanket factory. We saw and even tried out the large loom where they make many of their blankets. In the shop, hand loomed blankets in vibrant blues, oranges ,purples,  any color you name it, were hanging for display . Some had intricately woven patterns in bright colors, others had images like animals or flowers. We ended up buying a vibrant blanket, mostly red with a Aztec style pattern in blue, yellow and green.

Our next stop was a small candy stand where we sampled and purchased hand made Mexican candy. Some of the items I thought looked weird were actually the best tasting. We bought a container of this bright yellow coconut candy and two mini bottles of coke. I felt ten times better then this morning and my husband who was joking about the trip earlier, looked like he was having more fun then I was.

Hotel California was next on the list. Daniel parked the car and gave us a tour of the hotel, which felt more like an intimate estate, besides the gift store of course. Past the big rod doors we entered the area for hotel guests only. There was a small pool surrounded by lush plants and large gargoyle statues. Almost every wall was painted in dark colors, purple,  blue, orange, and red. Candles were lit everywhere in the dark hallways. The hotel was small I think he said only 11 rooms, but it was beautifully decorated and felt like you were brought back in time at a luxurious Mexican estate.

Daniel informed us this point in the tour was were we all split up for lunch and explore on our own. The other couple chose to have lunch at the hotel California.  We decided to try Daniel's recommendation and walked to a quaint outside cantina. We were once again blown away by the delicious food.  My husband tried their house margarita while I nursed another bottle of water, after last night I was scared to try another drink for a while.

Afterward we walked to a surf shop, where my husband fed his growing desire to surf while he is in Cabo.  He chatted with the owner about the waves while I petted the sweetest puppy I've ever met.  We bought a couple souvenirs and walked around the cute little old town before heading back to the van. One if my favorites was an old brick hotel, at one time it was a boarding school.  Now it was a quiet pretty boutique hotel.

"That was fun I'm glad you made us go, " he said giving me a long passionate kiss. The kiss was just enough to get me excited and I was dreading the hour trip back. With traffic and having to drop off the other couple we got back to the hotel a couple hours later.  I picked back up where we left that kiss and practically jumped on my husband sending us both tumbling down on the bed.


The next day we took a water taxi to Lover's Beach to snorkel. After a look at divorce beach on the Pacific side, we walked down to the water to jump in on lovers side. The roped off area looked weak and small so we made our way back toward pelican rock where we saw several snorkelers and divers on our way to lover's.  It was tricky getting in because in order to go left we had to get in when there wasn't a water taxi dropping off or picking up passengers, which was constantly.  We saw a opening and jumped in hugging the rock as we swam. Once reaching pelican rock  we were extremely happy with the abundance of wildlife below.  My husband saw tourists jumping off pelican rock, so of course he had to join. I got video of him making the long leap into the water below. We continued to explore until it was time to head back.

That night we were going to the famous, The Office, it was Edith's sister restaurant.  I put on my new Aztec print cocktail dress and got dolled up.  The restaurant was packed so we grabbed a drink at the bar while waiting for a table. Luckily we didn't have to wait long before we stepped down into the sand and made our way to our table.

Everything was in the sand, it was fun sitting in the chair and slightly sinking. We feasted on a whole fried fish and crab as we made fun at the drunk group of ladies next to us. They went up to the live band several times and joined them on stage, they weren't terrible singers but not great either, it was entertaining to say the least. We purchased the photo they took of us and had another flaming coffee before calling it a night. Back at the hotel we found some hidden energy and had some hot shower sex before getting some sleep.

The final day we went shopping,  I got little stuff for the kids like a hand carved box with a whale on it, and a captain America ukulele. We also picked up some ornaments and pottery before heading back to the resort to check out. We packed up and headed to Cabo Surf Hotel. My husband was giddy to surf even though the waves were small.  He rented a chair and umbrella for me and asked again if I was sure I didn't want to surf too. I wasn't in the mood to get wet again before the flight so I shoo'd him away. He rented a longboard and got a good hour in before heading back in for lunch.

We took our time eating before we had to get the cab to the airport.  On the ride I thought about how anxious I was to get home and see my boys. We had video chatted almost everyday, but I missed them and was ready to get back.

I walked through the stores at the airport and got a couple last minute souvenirs for people I hadn't.  Finishing I sat next to my husband to wait for our departure. We were sad to leave cabo because vacation was over but happy to go home.  All in all I would say it was a successful trip,  and I look forward to going back.

1 comment: