Friday, December 11, 2015

Cause I'm your lady - present post part 1

Nov 2015

"You know I read somewhere to treat the the little bumps in the air during a flight, like a bump in the road." I said to my husband while pulling on the zipper of my suitcase.

It was the day of our trip and I was a mixture of nerves, excitement and a little sadness. We have taken trips in the past without the kids, but never more then once in a year, and never over 4 nights. This time we were going for 7 nights. Up until this day I had been counting down the hours. We finished the packing and I made a mental note to check off everything I needed before heading to the car. At the airport we all got out of the car, I knelt down to say goodbye.

"Bye momma I'm going to miss you pretty lady." Raen said wrapping his arms around my neck and squeezing me tight. He was my little charmer, always telling me how how pretty I am, my favorite line being, 'you're as pretty as a rose mom'. I kissed Raen and gave him a speech about being the man of the house while I'm gone before turning to Kai.

"Mom!" Was all he yelled as he tackled me. He squeaked a few times and kissed me goodbye.

I hesitantly pulled away to head inside. Sliding my hand through my husband's, I blinked back the tears.

"Babe don't cry, I know you'll miss them but we will be back before you know it!" He raised my chin and softly wiped a tear away. Funny just the other day I was complaining about how much I needed this vacation now I was feeling guilty. I brushed it off and focused on the self check in screen. My husband punched in the info, when he got to the choose your seats screen I panicked.

"Wait, I need to be in the window seat, we can't have the middle and isle seat!" I exclaimed. I felt calmer when I could visually see everything.

"Relax it's not even a two hour flight." He said trying to calm me down.

"At least choose those two by the wing, I heard it's less turbulent there." I inhaled and looked to the ceiling. I know I was being over dramatic but I hate flying. I could feel myself realizing I was overreacting but I couldn't wipe the worried look off my face.

"Juliette, STOP. I need this vacation it's been so stressful at work. I really need you to stop freaking out and come on vacation with me." His eyes pleaded with me to stop, I could tell I had pushed it. With all the comments I made today about flying and worrying.

"You're right, let's do this." I lifted up on my tippy toes and kissed him. He was still a little stiff but he at least kissed me back. We quickly went through the short security line. As always I cursed at forgetting to wear socks, I hate having to take off your shoes and walk through that nasty damp carpet that millions of people have walked on, ew!

Once through security we sat down at the airport bar to grab a quick bite and drink.

"She'll have a long island," my husband asked the waitress before I opened my mouth to speak. I apparently needed it, no objection here.

Two long island's later I was feeling much more relaxed. Still nervous but not like before. Before I was anxious as mouse in a snake's cage. We boarded the plane and I was happy to see a smiling older woman sitting next to us. She was friendly throughout the flight and even gave us a lot of tips, where to eat and activities we should hit up when we get there. Thank God the flight was smooth most of the way with only a couple mild bumps.

Hand in hand my husband and I joyfully made our way through the terminal and up the stairs. Our grins faded slightly at the sight of the immigration line. The zigzag queue was packed with hundreds of tourists. We got in and surprisingly kept moving at a comfortable pace. About forty minutes later we made our way through and got our passports stamped.

"Welcome to Cabo!" The man behind the counter smiled and waved his hand to let us continue on. We got our bags and waited in another line. They must have had several planes land at once because the couple in front of us kept commenting on how they've never seen it like this before. After pressing the magic button we got a green light meaning our luggage didn't need inspecting, with a high five between us we headed to the exit. I lost track of how many people approached us to sell something between each sliding glass door we went through.

Outside we were met with a sea of people waiting to get transportation to their resort. The outside bar area was packed and about ninety percent of the population scattered around carrying either a margarita or a beer. It was still light out and despite the crowd we were just excited to start our vacation. After finding our resort shuttle a man in an orange guayabera told us the wait would be about an hour. After debating we decided to find another shuttle, luckily there was one leaving in the next five minutes. The shuttle was going to drop off passengers at five other locations. One being in San José and the rest in Cabo San Lucas, including ours. By the time we dropped off the last couple it was dark outside. Most of the passengers had been to Cabo several times and we're happy to give all their advice to us Cabo virgins.

I was growing tired of traveling and starving. Pulling up to our resort I instantly perked up when I saw the grand entrance. During check in I took in the lobby, the sparkling marble floors seemed to go on and on. Giant bouquets of vibrant tropical flowers were everywhere in beautiful spanish vases. We got our keys and made our way to the room, only getting a little lost along the way.

The room was gorgeous, the floors were a dark brown travertine. There was a small kitchenette with granite countertops. I was excited to see a whirlpool tub in the bathroom.

"Let's get some food, I'm getting grumpy without food." My husband said setting his suitcase on the bed.

"I wanted to shower and change..." I saw the look on his face and I knew he was going to need food, now. "Nope never mind let me pee and then we'll go." I laughed when he perked up.


Walking around the grounds of the hotel made me feel as if vacation had really started. The pathways were lit up, palm trees and lounge chairs aligned the three pools we passed. And even though I couldn't see it, I could hear the waves crashing in the dark distance.

There were three restaurants in the resort, we quickly decided on dining at the Mexican food place that overlooked the beach. Bright torches shined, illuminating the restaurant. We were seating at a table on the patio, not against the wall but one over.

"Good evening, my name is Carlos and I will be your server tonight. Can I get you anything to drink senorita? "

"Good evening, yes do you have any jalapeño margaritas?" What kind of first night in Mexico would it be without a margarita?

"Si senorita, maybe a little extra spicy for you." He said with a wink. My husband ordered a Pacifico and some ceviche. We chatted a bit about what we should do tomorrow, we were both anxious to snorkel, I wanted to horseback and he wanted go jet ski. We decided exploring the resort after breakfast was a good idea, then we would walk to town along the beach.

During dinner we heard loud music coming from the beach, it sounded like karaoke. It was a lot of fun listening to strangers belt out the classic wedding songs like, 'can't take my eyes off of you' and 'at last'.

"How was your dinner mis amigos?" Carlos appeared at the table with another margarita and Pacifico. We quickly thanked him and praised on the delicious food.

"If I may, I would like to make a special surprise dessert for you?" His smile was so bright and genuine we had to say yes.

"Just no bananas please," I asked.

"No, no bananas." He grinned walking away.

We heard the song 'I'm your lady' coming from the beach below, it was way too good to be karaoke. When I saw a couple people get up and peer over the wall I decided I needed to see for myself.

Taking a peek I saw the small wedding set up on the sand. There were about 4 tables of guest all staring forward. Their eyes were fixed upon a petite blonde woman with the mic. She belted out the chorus, 'cause I'm your lady, and you are my man, whenever you reach for me, I'll do all that I can'. With every high note she would step to the right and push off to gain momentum. My husband had joined me and was leaning on the wall listening.

"Wow, I thought it was a recording, she's good." I said turning to him.

"Whenever you reach for me," he started, singing off key. I slapped his arm playfully and headed back to the table. We were busy laughing about something when Carlos returned rolling a small cart. He happily showed us the brandy and tequila before setting a plate in front of us with a slice if cheesecake and strawberries. He then poured some brandy and tequila in what looked like a gravy boat. He lit the boat on fire and proceeded to pour the flaming liquid between two boats. It was pretty seeing the bright blue flames. Pouring the mixture on top of our dessert he told us to enjoy.

Back at the room I collapsed onto the bed, I was well stuffed and the exhaustion from traveling was creeping back. My husband joined my side. He began softly kissing my neck then moved to my shoulder.

"Mmm, I love vacation. First night was perfect." He lifted my shirt and started kissing my stomach.

"It isn't over yet," he looked up at me with a devilish grin. Instead of responding I just shook my head and laid back.


*note: sorry meant to have this post up earlier in the week but have had company. This was part one of our trip and I hope to get another post up soon. Please please comment, I Love hearing what everyone thinks and that there's readers out there ! :) thanks for reading and commenting- Juliette

3 comments:

  1. Oops something happened with the text, will try and fix

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited to hear about the rest of the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds amazing! I can't wait to find out who it is!!

    ReplyDelete