Friday, December 4, 2015

Past few weeks



August 2003


The past few weeks seemed to fly by and it was already August. My second year at the community college was starting soon and I was a little anxious about whether or not I wanted to go on to University after this year or not. My dilemma was being so damn indecisive. One minute I was sure I wanted to be a teacher, the next I thought I should go to school and become a chef or interior designer.  I envy Alicia and her pure passion for marine biology.  For now I was just going to focus on school and work and hope that I have more of an idea of what I want to do with my life, next semester.

Jacob and I seem to be closer then ever, there's not a night spent where we don't talk, whether by phone or in person. I find myself on more then one occasion falling asleep with the phone between my head and the pillow. Through all the talking though we have never had 'the talk'. I don't know if he considered me his girlfriend or his friend with benefits? I knew in my heart I wanted more then anything to be his girlfriend,  but there was something holding me back. I feel like I'm too young to feel like I've met the boy I want to run off into the sunset with, aren't I?  There was a time when I thought Cal could have been the one, look how that turned out. Just like my future life career options, I'm going to put it off and just enjoy what we have right now. Maybe he'll bring up the topic? That thought made my heart race.

My alarm went off on the nightstand next to me. Groaning I hit my palm against the clock silencing the obnoxious melody. I had stayed up way too late last night for a weeknight. Amanda had come over, we were supposed to hang out, watch chick flicks, maybe paint our nails.  Instead I opened the door to be greeted by a hysterical Amanda.

 I helped her in and sat her down on the couch. About 10 minutes later she had calmed down enough to talk. I quickly got her a washcloth for her red swollen face. 

"Miles and I broke up!" She managed to get out before the hiccups hit. I went to get her a glass of water, on the counter I saw a candy bowl full of M&M's and grabbed that too.

"OK, do you want to talk about what happened?" I said handing the glass of water over and placing the chocolate on the coffee table in front of her. She shook her head yes but didn't speak. After gulping down half the water and stuffing a few candy pieces in her mouth she let out a deep breath. 

"I went to meet him for dinner, it was at this fancy restaurant on the beach in Del Mar. I got us a table and ordered a drink. I was on my third drink and fifth text message when he finally showed up. An hour and a half late Jules!  If I didn't order an appetizer and drinks I think they would have asked me to give up my table."

"Ok, did he say why he was late?" I didn't like Miles, it was taking all I had not to just say 'fuck him'.

"He said...he said he couldn't do this anymore.  He was with his wife and they had a talk about starting a family.  He said he didn't want an affair on the side if he had a child." 

"Wait, I thought you said he was leaving her?" The shock in my voice was evident. 

"He was, up until this he always talked about how much he didn't like his wife and how he only stayed with her for his parents,  he didn't want to disappoint them." I rolled my eyes at this. What grown man let's his parents have such an influence.  But then I thought about it, he was probably lying to Amanda. 

"I tried to protest but he kept saying how much he still loved her and how this was a mistake..a MISTAKE, Jules he called me a mistake." Her eyes watered and back to sobbing she went. Reaching across the couch I snatched the box of tissues and handed them over.

"Amanda,  you can't let this guy get to you. You're 21, you have your whole life ahead of you. Screw him and his lies."

"But it had been so long, I loved him, I thought he loved me. He doesn't love her, I have to make him see that. " She reached for her phone in her purse. As soon as her fingers started dialing away I yanked the cell away from her. I got up to hide it in the kitchen. 

Pulling a couple beers out of the fridge I came back into the living room and spent the next few hours consoling her. When the clock hit 1:30 am I fetched a blanket and pillow and demanded she sleep over. I didn't have to convince her and within minutes she was sound asleep on the couch. I don't know how someone could believe that a guy capable of cheating on his wife was actually telling you the truth. I really hoped this was the last Amanda would see of Miles but something told me she wasn't going to let him go that easy.

I showered quickly and got ready for work. I was surprised to see the blanket I gave Amanda last night folded and placed neatly on the pillow when I walked into the living room. She must have left earlier. Alicia never made it in last night so I assumed she spent the night at Dean's. I ate my breakfast speedily and in silence before heading to work.

There was a green civic I didn't recognize parked in the back lot of work. It was too early for an interview, must be someone from one of the other businesses. The owner was revealed when I opened the door and saw the back of a women's head sitting in Don's office. Don was rarely ever at the office before 10, he must of had an appointment.  I continued to my desk when Don called out. Stepping into his office the blonde woman turned around and I recognized her from a few weeks back.

"Taylor how are you, I thought you moved back to South Carolina? " after her interview Don offered her the job. She had declined saying she decided to go back home to South Carolina.

"Yes miss, I did plan on it. Unfortunately my dear mother took ill and I couldn't leave her. I decided, as much as I miss home I would miss being here for her." She smiled kindly, her southern accent was so sweet sounding I instantly wished I had one.

"Well the good news out of that is she is going to join our team. " Don said cheerfully.

"Well welcome to the team." I said grateful for the extra help.

"I'm going to train her and show her around. If I need anything I will let you know Juliette." Don said, it sounded like a dismissal so I said welcome again to Taylor and went to my desk. It was surprising that he was going to train her. I specifically remember him mentioning I would do the training for new hires. I brushed it off and got to work.

Half way through the day I got a text from Alicia.

Alicia - dinner tonight with Dean and I?  We are picking trip dates!!

I instantly replied I was in. I had about 2 weeks vacation time so I wasn't worried about that. And now that Taylor was here, we luckily had someone with experience. Let's just hope she gets licensed quickly and hopefully before I leave.




Note: I was thinking about making the next post about the trip I just went on. It would be a present post, but that does mean the only present posts have been about vacations.  Would anyone be interested?  Or I could do a flash forward post about something else or just a regular post? Please comment :)    Juliette 

4 comments:

  1. Getting a vibe Don has a thing for the new employee, hopefully he keeps it professional

    ReplyDelete
  2. A post about your trip would be fun!!

    I, too, think Don has something going on with the new girl. He is acting too weird for him to not have some level of personal-connection to her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on a new post! My parents are in town so I only get to it here and there, hopefully soon :)

      Delete