Thursday, August 13, 2015

Road trip

June 2002

It was the end of June already and Alicia and I were putting the last of our things in my Hyundai. It was a small car so we couldn't fit much but two 18 year old girls have a lot of clothes.

"Just don't forget about your old parents when you fall in love with California, " my mom said giving me her eighth hug. My parents were probably some of the best parents you could have. They were strict enough to care but also gave you enough independence to let you know they trusted you. I walked over to my dad and saw the tears in his eyes.

"Never," I said giving him a kiss on the cheek and hugging him tight. I was always a daddy's girl and would definitely miss him. My mom and I talked more so I knew I'd get my mom fix but dad wasn't a big phone talker. Hopefully with his youngest out of the house he will have to use the phone more.

"Alright nothing else will fit, ready Jules?" Alicia said as she hugged my parents goodbye. Alicia was always over at our house so she tended to treat my parents like a second set. She only had her mom, her dad passed when she was five. She had said her goodbyes this morning before she came here.
After another set of hugs and I love yous we were finally in the car heading west.

"He really couldn't get out of work to say goodbye? " Alicia was referring to Cal not being at my parents house. He had said late last night that his boss called him in last minute and he couldn't see me off. He worked at a department store so I doubt it was that important to not miss a morning but I wasn't going to be the annoying girlfriend.  We'd been together 3 wonderful weeks and would see each other in august so I couldn't be too upset.

"No but it's fine I'll see him in a little over a month." We then started talking about all the stuff we needed to buy when we got to our apartment.  The apartment was small but luckily had two bedrooms. And best yet it was near the beach, a good walk away, but being land locked my whole life a fifteen minute walk to the beach was as good as beachfront.

Before we knew it, it had been 8 hours and after 3 gas/pit stops I was tired of driving. We were in some small town in Utah and I saw a holiday inn. I pulled in and we grabbed a room. I had a good amount of money in savings and my parents gave some cash for the trip so I had no desire to stay at some bates motel. Luckily Alicia's mom gave her a debit card and she's filled up each time we needed too. Amazing the expense to move cross country.

The room was clean and so we took turns freshening up. We left to find food and we're pretty disappointed with our options. Well there was a diner open and being that it was getting late (small town late) we went in and grabbed a booth. I checked my phone which had died on the way so I charged it at the hotel. One missed call from my mom but that was it. No sign of Cal which was weird because he always, OK in the three weeks we were together, called after he got off work.

"Those boys are so hot," Alicia said grabbing my attention. I turned to see the three guys she was referring too and they looked easily 5 to 7 years our senior. One was cute with deep blue eyes and a nice smile but the other two were nothing special.

"Ugh Alie, they're way too old for you and look one has a tie on, he's clearly a grown up." We may be going off on our own and I know legally we are adults but I felt far from one.

"Just be my wing girl," she said smiling and giving a small smile to the guys. Uh alright, I've done this before.

"Good evening ladies, don't think I've seen you around here, I know I'd remember your pretty faces," blue eyes said. Ew he called us ladies and used such a stupid pick up line. Alicia giggled clearly not caring.

"We're on a road trip, moving to California!" She bated her eyelashes at him.  His other friends walked over also and Alicia asked them to join us. Apparently they all worked at some local call center. Boring. Blue eyes also went by Bob, really Bob haha. I forgot his friends names and focused on my blt the waiter brought over. Once I was done I answered a couple questions from beer gut, I really did forget his name. I looked over at Alicia and she was practically in Bob's lap giggling away. Uh I loved Alicia,  she has been my best friend since 3rd grade but she was kinda easy and attracted to some losers.

"Alie I think I'm going to head to the room. " I put down some cash and got up to leave. Beer gut tried to grab my arm and protest my leaving but I quickly shot him down. 
"Ready Alie?"

"You go on ahead I'll be back soon, Bobby here says he'll drop me off."

Alright, I should have dragged her out of there but she's too stubborn and Bob seemed nice enough, a little sleazy but nice enough.
I got back to the room and checked my phone again as if I missed it buzzing while holding it the entire dinner. The summer sun was just setting and I closed the curtains and turned on the tv. An episode of Everwood was on so I snuggled up to watch it and drifted off to sleep.

"Jules, Jules wake up! You'll never guess what happened!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment