Monday, August 17, 2015

Slice of cherry please

August 2002

I turned around only to find myself face to face with Jacob. Jacob the brother of my old friend Amanda. Jacob the boy I compared any kiss too after we kissed when we were 13.  I looked at him, more like up at him, he was tall, like really tall. And no longer was he scrawny or could you describe him as geeky. His blonde hair was trimmed on the sides and longer on the top. He had piercing eyes and a strong jawline. His height was intimidating and he clearly had spent his time working out, he was thin and defined.

"Jacob, oh my God how are you!?" I yelled over the music.

"I'm good, listen Juliette can you step outside a sec?" He didn't wait for me to respond he started toward the exit. I looked around for Cal and noticed him talking to a couple people so I followed Jacob out.  Once outside Jacob grabbed me and hugged me tight.

"Wow, how long has it been?" He asked taking his time breaking the hug.

"Well I think our family visited San Diego a few years back so I guess 3 years." I couldn't stop staring at him, it was like looking at someone you knew so well but also had the face of some heartthrob. He had grown some facial hair and I wasn't hating it. It did make him look older. Right then I wondered if his girlfriend liked it, then my mind wondered further and I was curious if it tickled to kiss him. Wuah ok come back mind.

"Amanda said you were moving here, I don't think I believed her, but here you are."

"Yeah in the flesh, I moved a little over a month ago. I have an apartment not far from here with a friend."

"That's great, my dad moved out and I'm staying in the house. We rent out the other rooms, works for me since I don't live on campus." According to Amanda, Jacob went to Sdsu. Well he would this year.

"How have you been, I heard your parents split?"   This may have been forward but I've known Jacob since forever so I didn't feel like I was prying too much.

"It's alright, I've been on my own since Christmas of senior year but hey, who wouldn't want to have a house with no parents at 17?"  He laughed it off but I could hear the sarcasm in his voice.

" I heard you are a great surfer, you think you could teach me?" I quickly changed the subject.

"Of course, Jujie I would love to teach you. " he's called me Jujie since I can remember and just hearing him say it made my stomach react. I was starting to feel guilty even though nothing had happened.  We exchanged numbers and another hug. I went back in and searched the crowd for Cal.

He was with the same couple people I saw him with earlier. I walked up to him and stood as close to him as possible, waiting for him to acknowledge me. They were discussing some sports team, maybe football, I don't know. Cal finished a sentence and looked at me with a smile. He pulled me to him until I was sitting in his lap. The discussion continued and I was slowly growing tired. I looked around to see Alicia dancing with Dean. They looked so content together and we're slow dancing or more just hugging tightly and swaying side to side, even though the song was not a slow song. I smiled to myself and hoped Cal and I looked like that. I turned back to Cal and searched his face. He must have noticed me staring because he stopped talking and kissed me, the kissed was short and sweet but I couldn't help feeling a little uneasy.

The next day Cal, Alicia, Dean and I took a drive to a small town outside San Diego called Julian. It was a cute country town known for their apple pies. We waited in a terribly long line for a slice, only for me to get a slice of cherry. I know it may not be American of me but I don't like apple pie, I did however try the apple cider which made me eager for fall. After exploring the small town some more we headed back in Dean's wrangler to the city.

I was looking out the window focused on the scenery when Cal intertwined his fingers through mine. I glanced at him and he was smiling but also looked so serious. I can have a serious moment from time to time but for some reason I usually ruin it by saying something funny or making a face. This time was no different, I made some silly face and we both laughed. Cal pulled me closer to him and put an arm around me. Right then I knew I felt completely comfortable and content. Maybe this relationship would last longer then all of my lasts, wait it already had! My content filling was gone and rearing it's ugly head was the anxious monster, the one that forces your mind to worry and think of the worst case scenario.  He started school soon, so do I,  what if we got so busy and drifted apart? Most of my classes are nights, when will we see each other? What if he meets someone new,  whom I kidding, of course he'll meet tons of new people,  hot college girls to name a few.

"Wanna grab some dinner before I head up to Malibu tonight?" Cal broke me from my thoughts.

"Sure..I mean unless you want to leave early to get there. You might want to get settled in before it's too late. Or maybe your uncle doesn't stay up late? "  I was rambling and went to say something else but was cut off with his lips touching mine.

"I just want to spend as much time with you as I can." And then this time I kissed him back. I felt silly for worrying so much, we could make this work.

No comments:

Post a Comment